|All messages are published
with permission of the sender.
The general topic of this message is Guns/Weapons:
Contact Your Federal Officials
Sen. Bob Casey
Rep. Charlie Dent
Sen. Patrick Toomey
February 25, 2013
Greetings my Elected Officials,
I am writing to you because I am very concerned about the proposed Pennsylvania House Bill 239 requiring mandatory registration of all firearms with the Pennsylvania State Police.
Because I am a safe, responsible, law-abiding citizen of the Commonwealth, with no prior history of a misdemeanor, felony, or other serious crime, I am urging you to OPPOSE Pennsylvania House Bill 239. Pennsylvania HB 239 raises serious concerns among your voting constituents including my neighbors, friends, family members, and myself. WE VOTE and we would greatly appreciate your responses to the following questions:
1) If we are safe, responsible, law-abiding citizens who have not committed any crimes, then why do we need to be put on a mandatory list for our self-evident and unalienable right, endowed to us by our Creator and upheld by the United States Constitution, to choose to protect and provide for ourselves and our loved ones by exercising our 2nd Amendment Constitutional Rights to Keep and Bear Arms?
2) How will Pennsylvania HB 239 and any other proposed legislation like it be enforced effectively on the unsafe, irresponsible, law-breaking criminals of this Commonwealth? What will make unsafe, irresponsible, law-breaking criminals choose to comply with registration laws?
3) If Pennsylvania HB 239 passes into law, could the proposed firearms registry ever be utilized as sole probable cause by any government official or law enforcement officer to sanction and support a judicial warrant for inspection and/or search our homes and properties, including but not limited to inspection and/or search of any of our firearms protected under the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution?
4) Under Pennsylvania HB 239 and any other proposed legislation like it, could we be accused and/or prosecuted of a crime simply for choosing to protect and provide for our loved ones by safely and responsibly exercising our 2nd Amendment Constitutional Rights to Keep and Bear Arms? If so, what would be the potential risk of seizure of our firearms or other property despite our previous history of safe, responsible, law-abiding behavior?
5) If we are safe, responsible, and law-abiding citizens then how can any inspection and/or search and seizure of our firearms protected under the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution be consistent with our 4th Amendment rights under the US Constitution against unreasonable search and seizure?
Please help me understand how Pennsylvania HB 239 would:
1) Be consistent with our 2nd Amendment rights under the US Constitution to Keep and Bear Arms?
2) Be consistent with our 4th Amendment rights under the US Constitution Against Unlawful Search and Seizure?
3) Be consistent with your sworn oath to protect and defend the self-evident, unalienable rights endowed to us by our Creator and upheld by the US Constitution?
On July 4, 1776, the writers of the United States Declaration of Independence stated that our Constitutional rights are "unalienable" and "self-evident" "truths" "endowed by our Creator" and shared by all Americans as "equals." Therefore there is a reason why elected officials like yourself and law enforcement officers swear an oath to protect the US Constitution: Because you and the legislation you are responsible for writing and enforcing under the US Constitution CANNOT OPERATE TO REMOVE OUR RIGHTS, BUT ONLY TO AFFIRM AND ENFORCE THEM. This exactly what President Abraham Lincoln described as a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" during his Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863 right here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania where you now serve!
Everyone will respond in some way to any elected official or law enforcement officer who willingly chooses to violate and dishonor their sworn oath to protect and defend the unalienable, self-evident, true, and equal rights that are endowed to all of us by our Creator and affirmed/enforced by the United States Constitution.
Some will respond to that violated oath by thinking "This is the way things are! I can't do anything!" and then they will lay down in complacent silence and compliance.
Others will respond to that violated oath by thinking "This is tyranny! This is treason! I must do something!" and then they will stand up in resistant defiance.
Please take a stand for our Constitution, the rights abided by it to US Citizens like myself who voted you into your office, and your sworn oath to protect and defend our rights under the Constitution by OPPOSING Pennsylvania HB 239. My family, my neighbors, my friends and I VOTE. We are not only citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, but we are also citizens of the United States of America and we will do everything in our power to vote out any elected official who willingly chooses to violate and dishonor their sworn oath to protect and defend the US Constitution and the rights it was designed to affirm/enforce.
For our Creator who endowed us with true/equal/unalienable/self-evident rights, and for our Country that is supposed to affirm and enforce those rights, please stand with us, represent us, and OPPOSE Pennsylvania HB 239 and any other legislation like it. Such legislation only serves to threaten our US Constitution, our rights affirmed/enforced under it, and your sworn oath to protect and defend it.
Bethlehem , PA